In this post, you will learn about Dell Express Charge vs Standard Charge and how to increase dell laptop battery life by turning off Dell Express Charge feature, along with other tips that will help your laptop battery last longer after charging.
We tend to overlook or give little attention to laptop batteries when talking about the major or important features of a laptop. We are mostly concerned with features like the screen size, RAM, the processor power, the hard disk and the VGA (for gamers and graphic designers).
But, as time goes on – maybe for months or years, as we are using our laptops we come to realize that our laptop batteries require attention and care, and when reverse is the case, laptop owners change their battery their battery sooner than they expect.
- Dell Express charge vs Standard Charge
- How to Increase Dell Laptop Battery Life (by Turning Dell Express Charge Off)
- Best Laptop Battery Charging Tips
- Hacks to Help Extend Laptop Battery Duration After Charging
Dell Express charge vs Standard Charge
Dell Express Charge and Standard Charge are the charging technologies a typical dell laptop normally comes with. You can find more Dell battery settings from Dell official website in order to know which charging technologies are available or your pc and determine which one best suit your need.
What is Dell Express Charge?
Express Charge is a Dell laptop battery feature that charges the battery using Dell fast-charge technology. If your system is set to this feature, when your PC is powered off, the battery charges to 80 percent within One hour and 100 percent in two hours. The charge time may take longer if the PC is on.
What are the disadvantages of Dell Express Charge?
- Battery health declination: this is the major disadvantage of Dell Express Charge. In as much as Express Charge gets your battery full within shorter time, it causes your pc battery health to decline as time goes on. So, get ready to change your Pc battery sooner than you expected, that is if you prefer the Express Charge technology.
- Faster charge time but shorter Usage time: believe me, I have experimented on these two charging features severally and come to conclusion that when your PC is charged with Express Charge feature, it doesn’t last as expected on the course of using it.
I will show how to turn this feature off (of course, that’s my major intent of writing this post), but let’s take a look at Standard Charge.
Standard charge fully charges the battery at moderate rate. This charging feature helps to extend battery life and at the same time provides a reasonable fast charging time.
From the explanations above, I know what you’ve got in mind – why keeping what is of no benefit to me, but rather harms my PC.
How to Increase Dell Laptop Battery Life (by Turning Dell Express Charge Off)
Follow these steps to access the settings to switch between Express Charge and Standard charge.
- Step1- switch on your system or restart it.
- Step2- click the f2 button like three times once the manufacturer’s logo comes up (don’t let the windows or your OS logo come up).
- Step3- When the BIOS setup opens, move to the power management section and click the + sign by the left side to expand it.
- Step4- on the dropdown options, locate and click on Express Charge.
- Step5- on the right panel of the screen that appears, select Standard or Express Charge based on your choice (if I’m not wrong, you would like opt in for standard charge).
- Step6- click on apply to save your settings, then, click on exit your system will now boot.
Note: the settings you make at BIOS level most times reset when you remove your PC battery. Therefore, always remember to take a look at the power management settings in BIOS to ensure it aligns with your need.
Best Laptop Battery Charging Tips to Help Improve Your Battery life
- Do not discharge your laptop battery completely before the next charge. You can you the advance power setting to hibernate your laptop when it reaches a particular level while discharging. This will ensure that your laptop doesn’t suck up the battery before going off
- Only charge your battery when necessary. This is because charging your laptop all the time can weaken your battery capacity.
- Try as much as possible to keep your laptop cool. Aside from the tendency for damaging your laptop board, too much heat is unfavorable to your battery as well. You would like to check our post for tips to prevent your laptop from overheating.
- It is not ideal to charge your laptop up to 100%. A charge from 80% to 95% would be best for the health of your battery.
Other Hacks that can Undoubtedly Help to Extend Your Battery Duration After Charging
- Reduce your screen brightness.
- If your laptop comes with keyboard light, you can do well to turn it off.
- Click on the battery icon at the task bar and toggle the slider to “best battery life”.
- Close open apps that you are not currently using.
- Disable wireless connections when not in use.
- Detach unnecessary peripherals.
I hope you’ve learnt the difference between Dell Express Charge vs Standard Charge and to how to increase dell laptop battery life by turning Express Charge off. If properly implemented, it will not only extend your battery life after charging but will also help to increase the lifespan of your laptop battery.
Thanks for having you here, if you have any questions or suggestions, reach out to us via the comment section.