If you are a taxpayer, you probably have heard about the importance of a Tax Identification Number (TIN). Your TIN is a unique identification number issued by the tax authorities that helps in tracking your tax-related activities. Whether you are an individual or a business entity, having a TIN is essential for various financial transactions. However, if you’ve misplaced or forgotten your TIN, don’t worry! In this article, I will show you how to retrieve TIN number without any hassle, including the online methods.
Table of Contents
How to Retrieve TIN Number
If you misplaced your TIN document, or you have forgotten it, use the methods that will be discussed in this section to swiftly retrieve it:
How to retrieve Tax Identification Number at FIRS Office
To retrieve your Tax Identification Number at any Federal Inland Revenue Office near you, follow the steps below:
- Go to FIRS office locator using your favorite browser
- Search for your state or the current state you’re residing in.
- Once you have found your state table, use the ‘Field Office’ column to search for the closest FIRS office within your state
- Once you find the closest office, take note of the address, and also collect the contact information like the email and phone number for communication
- Go to the office and tell them you want to retrieve your lost TIN, and they will help you do so.
Remember to go with a valid ID card for individual or business to ascertain the ownership of the TIN number you want to retrieve – to ensure a smooth process.
How to Retrieve TIN Number Online
You can retrieve your lost TIN number at the comfort of your home or office using the online retrieval method. With the online method, you will get rid of stress that comes with going to the physical office.
Follow the instructions below to retrieve your Tax Identification Number online:
- Open https://tinverification.jtb.gov.ng/ on your browser and switch to desktop mode, if you are using a smartphone.
- You have the option to enter your Date of Birth if you wish.
- Choose your desired search criteria from the options in the Select Criteria Dropdown, which include TIN, BVN, or Registered Phone Number.
- Enter the relevant value corresponding to the selected search criteria from Step 3.
- Verify that you are a human by completing the reCAPTCHA Box.
- Finally, click on the Search button to proceed.
If the information you provided is correct, your individual Tax Identification Number will be retrieved and displayed on the screen.
- Open https://tinverification.jtb.gov.ng/ on your browser and switch to desktop mode if you are using a smartphone.
- Select the date of incorporation for the organization (if desired).
- Pick your preferred search criteria from the Select Criteria Dropdown, which can be either TIN, CAC registration Number, or Registered Phone Number.
- Enter the relevant value corresponding to the chosen search criteria from Step 3.
- Verify that you are not a robot by completing the reCAPTCHA Box.
- Proceed by clicking the Search button.
Once the information you provided is correct, your business Tax Identification Number will be retrieved and display on the screen.
Q1: Can I retrieve my TIN number online?
Yes, you can retrieve your TIN using the online portal, where you can retrieve your Tax ID number by providing the necessary information.
Q2: Code to Check TIN Number?
There is currently no USSD code to check TIN number. You can use the TIN verification portal to check your Tax Identification Number, using your BVN, registered phone number, or CAC (for non-individual).
Q3: How do I recover my TIN number?
To recover your Tax Identification Number, you have two options to use:
- Option 1: go to FIRS office
- Option 2: use the online portal to recover your TIN number
These two methods has been properly discussed in this article.
Q4: What documents do I need to retrieve my TIN number?
You may need identification documents, previous tax returns, and any other paperwork that helps verify your identity.
Q5: Can I appoint someone else to retrieve my TIN number on my behalf?
Yes, you can authorize someone else to retrieve your TIN number by providing them with a letter of authorization and your identification documents.
Retrieving your TIN number might seem like a daunting task, but with the right approach and proper guidance, it can be a smooth process. This article has provided you with all the information that will help you to retrieve your Tax Identification Number with ease. Always remember the importance of your TIN and keep it safe to ensure hassle-free financial transactions.