If you’re a taxpayer in Nigeria or planning to start a business, getting a Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a crucial step. The TIN is a unique identifier issued by the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) to individuals and businesses for tax purposes. In this article, I will show you how to get Tax Identification Number in Nigeria online. Providing you with all the information you need for the process to be successful, whether the TIN is for individual or non-individual, there is an option for you.
Table of Contents
How to Get Tax Identification Number in Nigeria Online (Individual & Non-Individual)
In this section we will explore what TIN is, why you need it, and how to get the Tax Identification number, either for individual or business purposes.
What is Tax Identification Number in Nigeria?
The Tax Identification Number (TIN) is a unique number assigned to individuals, Enterprises, Limited Liability Companies, Personal Businesses, Incorporated Trustees, MDAs, Cooperative Society, Trade Association, etc., for proper identification in the tax system. It is essential for tax compliance and helps the government track and manage taxpayer records effectively.
Why Do I Need TIN in Nigeria?
Having a TIN is mandatory for various financial transactions in Nigeria. Here are some reasons why you need a TIN:
- Income Tax Purposes: The TIN is required for filing income tax returns and paying taxes.
- Business Transactions: Opening a corporate bank account, registering a business name, or incorporating a company all require a TIN.
- Government Contracts: To participate in government tenders and contracts, you need a TIN.
- Land Transactions: Buying, selling, or transferring land requires a TIN.
- Access to Loans: Financial institutions often ask for a TIN when processing loan applications.
- How to Check Bank Network Status
- How to Retrieve Remita Receipt Without RRR
- How to Withdraw Money Without ATM Card
How to Get Individual TIN Number Online
To get your individual Tax Identification online, you will need your personal details like your name, date of birth, address, NIN, a portrait picture that can serve as a passport, and most importantly, a working email address. Once you have all these, follow the steps below to get your TIN online:
- Open the TIN registration portal for individual at https://tin.jtb.gov.ng/TinIndividualRequestExternal, and switch your browser to desktop mode if you are using smartphone (use either Chrome, Edge, or Opera – not Opera Mini)
- Enter your BVN, Date of birth, First Name, and last name
- Double-check the information that you have provided to ensure its accuracy
- Tick ‘I am not a robot’ to pass the reCAPTCHA check
- Click the ‘Search’ button to search for your information
- Once your record is found, click on the next button to continue
- Fill the form on the next page and upload a picture that can serve as passport
- Double-Check the information you entered
- Click ‘submit’, to submit the form and a request ID will be displayed and also sent to your email
- Take note of the request ID and keep it safe for easy retrieval in the future.
Once you have completed the request process, your request will be verified and approved. Your TIN will be emailed to you in PDF format via the email address you provided during registration. You can then download it to your phone, walk into any cybercafe and print it if necessary.
- Top 11 Investment Opportunities in Nigeria for Good Returns
- How to Retrieve Remita Receipt Without RRR
How to Get Tax Identification Number for Business
Non-individual or Business Tax Identification Number is meant for: Enterprises, Limited Liability Companies, Personal Businesses, Incorporated Trustees, MDAs, Cooperative Society, Trade Association, etc.
To get TIN for business, you will need to have your business register with Corporate Affairs Commission (CAC), as your business name and registration will be required during the TIN creation process.
To get TIN for business, follow the steps below:
- Go to https://tin.jtb.gov.ng/TinRequestExternal on your browser (I recommend Chrome, Edge, or Opera)
- Switch to desktop mode if you are using Smartphone (skip this step if you are using PC)
- Select ‘Business Name’ or the type of organization from the dropdown list
- Enter the registration number for the business or organization
- Enter the registered name
- The system with automatically check and give you feedback on whether the record was found or not
- Follow the on-screen prompt to complete the TIN request, providing all the necessary information.
Upon successful TIN request for your business, a request ID will be created, and sent to the email address you provided as well. Your Tax Identification Number will be sent to the same email when it is ready. So, keep an eye on your email inbox and spam box to know when your business tax identification number is ready.
Frequently Asked Questions on TIN (FAQs)
Q1: How many digits is TIN Number in Nigeria?
A: The Tax ID number of digits varies, depending on the type of TIN (Individual or Non-Individual) you obtained or which to obtain. The individual TIN is 10 digits in number, while the non-individual TIN is 12 digits in number, or may vary depending on the type of non-individual TIN you have got.
Q2: Is the TIN free to obtain?
A: Yes, Tax Identification Number Registration is free. Once you have all the necessary documents and information, you can get your TIN free of Charge.
Q3: Can I apply for a TIN without a business?
A: Yes, individuals can apply for a TIN even without owning a business. But you must have BVN and NIN to obtain individual Tax ID.
Q4: How long does it take to get a TIN after application?
A: The processing time varies, but it usually takes a few business days to receive your TIN.
Q5: What should I do if I forget my TIN?
A: You can retrieve your TIN from the verification, or by contacting the FIRS helpline, or visiting the nearest tax office.
Q6: Can I generate my TIN number online?
A: Yes, you can generate your Tax Identification Number online. Follow the guideline outline in this article to generate your TIN online.
Obtaining a Tax Identification Number (TIN) in Nigeria is a crucial step for every taxpayer and business entity. With the online application process, it has become more accessible and convenient. Remember to gather all necessary documents and information before starting your TIN application. By obtaining a TIN, you contribute to the country’s tax system and ensure compliance with tax regulations.